Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 20:36:40 +1300
Larry and Joe,

Thanks for your response about my problem with the W95 install.

No, the cpu isn't an AMD 350, it's an AMD XP2000+.

I might be pushing it uphill, here.  I have multiple hard drives on my own
computer, which boot through a boot selector called a 'Trios'.  It's a
gadget the size of a CD drive that couples to your main IDE port, then you
connect up to three hard drives to the three ribbon connectors.

Before you switch the machine on you select drive 1, 2 or 3, power on and
boot into that particular system.  It works quite well, I'm running W98SE on
drive 1, WinME and XP Pro on drive 2, and I wanted to put W95 and Win 2000
onto the third drive.

The main reason for underpinning Win2000 with W95 is only so I can run a few
old games, like Simon the Sorceror on the W95 partition :--))

However, maybe I'm a bit optimistic in expecting W95(b) to run on this 2G
system.

I did find that I could boot into safe mode OK, but on restart I get the
same message:
         'While initializing device IOS:
         Windows protection error.
You need to restart your computer'

Actually, I've just noted from your links that I was supposed to edit the
Config and Autoexec files to remove references to SmartDrive, so I better go
and do that now.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown