From:
"Paul A. Shippert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 12:57:53 -0500
Greetings Ian and List--
----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick Glazier" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2002 11:34 PM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Can't boot 40Gb on Asus P2L97 mobo

> What model number does the BIOS report?
> Have you checked the Maxtor site to see if there is a special cylinder
> Limiting Jumper setting.  If there is none, you might need a WesternDigital
> with that setting.
>
>                                   Rick Glazier
>
> Maxtor's retail boxes include a floppy containing their MaxBlast utility
> which should handle this. Got an OEM package? Minor problem. Download
> MaxBlast from Maxtor's web site.

> Best regards,
> Carroll Grigsby

I've included these two responses because, from my experience with two 40GB
Maxtor drives, I believe they are on target.  If you install the jumpers according
to the manual (one two-sided sheet, probably downloadable from the Maxtor site,
like the MaxBlast utility) in the cylinder-limiting configuration referred to by Rick,
this should allow the motherboard to recognize the drive and continue to boot.  I
think it may be necessary (the last of my remaining personal RAM is a bit overtaxed
on this) to create the MaxBlast boot floppy from the downloaded file, then boot with
this floppy in the A: drive.  When the computer boots, the MaxBlast Utility will start
(utilizing a rather nice GUI), detect your drives, then prompt you for which one you
want to partition and format. Respond correctly, and the utility will prepare the drive
for use.  This may work better if the Maxtor is the only hard disk in the system, rather than a
slave, but of this I am not certain.  These were the conditions under which I
used the MaxBlast utility, and it performed flawlessly.  Both computers using drives
installed with this drive overlay program are still currently in use, BTW.

HTH,

Paul A. Shippert

---