From:
Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 19:12:31 -0800
 > The walnuts I ate came from California, distributed by Diamond Walnut
 > Growers, Inc. They were harvested in autumn 2002, Class 1. Best before date
 > was 30 september 2003. They were not shelled. I cracked them just before I
 > ate them. I really liked their taste but I guess I ate too much.

That sound good quality but i forgot 2 questions
have they been bleached ( a walnut not b;leached have a definite brown color
instead of the very light brown as usual .
  non bleached Walnuts have a protecting coat left by the husk that seal the
pores and keep the inside sealed .
also by washing them even if only water is used ( they add chlorine ) imply
having to dry them .
In a commercial operation this drying is done at temperature higher than
body temperature ,and so the oils start to oxydise .
despite that i don't practice any of those treatments myself , walnuts are
particularly sensitive to oxydation overtime ,certainly due to their high
omega 3 fats ( in comparaison with other nuts ). in my experience they are
not as good after spring .

jean-claude>