NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
scott gallant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 03:19:26 -0500
That's very true and a lot of people don't catch on to that. Boy babies fed
soy formulas end up with problems too. I've read about  2 year-old boys
being diagnosed with prostate cancer and it was found they were given soy
formula as infants. Soy products are o.k. once in a while when we are older,
but when it is their primary source of food during infancy then it's a major
imballance in the diet. That's why I always encourage nursing the baby
without formula on my radio show as well as other moms who are at least
interested in nursing, because the human milk offers all the vitamins,
minerals, amino acids, enzymes antibodies and many other things the baby
could possibly need that formula just doesn't have to offer. Many babies
given soy formula are growing older and being found to have soy allergies
because they were fed soy too young in life.It is a bean product and babies
just aren't meant to consume that type of food until they're at least 1 if
not 2, depending on the kind of bean it is. With the mother's milk, it
actually changes from week to week to meet the changing needs of the baby
which a lot of pediatritions don't even acknowledge. formula could never do
that. I know in cases of adoption and rare medical issues nursing isn't
possible or is very difficult, but when it's possible it certainly does
avoid a lot of health issues. We ate a lot of soy too until I learned about
the estrogen issue. now I try to ballance how much tofu we consume and soy
milk. We also buy a lot of rice milk so it ballances out a little better.
For an older woman going through menapause a lot of tofu would be a great
thing, but no one is going through that in our house so we do need to be
careful as well. I'm glad you mentioned that. Sue