MUNIRAH Archives

The MUNIRAH Chronicle of Black Historical Events & Facts

MUNIRAH@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Munirah Chronicle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 26 Feb 2006 12:33:09 -0500
*		Today in Black History - February 26		*

*  In the E-mail body place:  Subscribe Munirah Your FULL Name        *

1844 - James Edward O'Hara is born in New York City to an Irish
	merchant and a West Indian woman.  He will move to North
	Carolina after completing his basic education.  After studying
	law at Howard University, he will be admitted to the North
	Carolina bar and become a practicing attorney in Halifax
	county and active in state politics.  He will later become a
	two-term United States Congressman from North Carolina, serving
	in the forty-eighth and forty-ninth congress.

1870 - Wyatt Outlaw, Town Commissioner in Graham, North Carolina, joins
	the ancestors after being executed (lynched) by the "White
	Brotherhood," The Ku Klux Klan.  He was president of the Alamance
	County Union League of America (an anti Ku Klux Klan group),
	helped to establish the Republican party in North Carolina and
	advocated establishing a school for African Americans. The Klan
	will hang him from an oak tree near the Alamance County Courthouse.
	Dozens of Klansmen will be arrested for the murders of Outlaw and
	other African Americans in Alamance and Caswell Counties. Many of
	the arrested men will confess, but, despite protests by Governor
	William W. Holden, a federal judge in Salisbury will ordered them
	released.

1926 - Dr. Carter G. Woodson starts Negro History Week.  This week
	will be expanded to Black History Month in 1976.

1926 - Theodore "Tiger"(The Georgia Deacon) Flowers becomes the first
	African American middleweight champion of the world.  He will
	defeat Harry Greb in fifteen rounds to win the title in New York
	City.

1928 - Antoine "Fats" Domino is born in New Orleans, Louisiana.  He
	will be a pioneering Rhythm & Blues pianist whose hits will
	include "Ain't That A Shame" and "Blueberry Hill."

1930 - "The Green Pastures" opens on Broadway at the Mansfield Theater
	with Richard B. Harrison as "De Lawd."

1946 - A race riot in Columbia, Tennessee results in two deaths and ten
	injured persons.

1964 - Boxer Cassius Clay converts to Islam, adopting the name Muhammad
	Ali, saying, "I believe in the religion of Islam...believe in
	Allah and peace..."

1965 - During civil rights demonstrations in Selma, Alabama, that were
	designed to get the attention of the Johnson administration in
	Washington, DC, police violence erupts against the marchers. In
	an effort to protect his mother from a beating, 26 year old
	Jimmie Lee Jackson strikes a police officer.  He will join the
	ancestors after being shot and killed.  Civil rights activists,
	outraged by his death, will plan a march from the Edmund Pettus
	Bridge in Selma to Montgomery.

1966 - Andrew Brimmer becomes the first African American governor of the
	Federal Reserve Board when he is appointed by President Lyndon
	B. Johnson.

1984 - Rev. Jesse Jackson acknowledges that he referred to New York City
	as "Hymietown."

1985 - At the 27th Grammy Awards, Best Album of the Year for "Can't Slow
	Down", is presented to Lionel Richie.  Tina Turner is a big
	winner with Best Song, Best Record and Best Pop Vocal
	Performance by a Female for "What's Love Got to Do with It."