BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Becker, Dan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"Let us not speak foul in folly!" - ][<en Phollit
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 20:24:11 -0500

Regardless of cause, this is Dr. Cold's remedy (there really is such a
guy, who has studied the mechanisms of cold virii for decades as his
research specialty; still no cure, but he promotes this method to reduce
the length and severity of symptoms):

At the first sign/suspicion of an impending cold, take the following two
over-the-counter medications in combination:

Chlorpheniramine time-release antihistamine
Ibuprofen

Something about the way the two interact (he hasn't quite figured out
why it works, just that it does) disrupts the reproduction/spreading
mechanism of the cold virii (there are numerous variations) and thus
dampens your body's immunological response to their invasion. It is very
important to get the specific antihistamine Chlorpheniramine.

Strange but true. I've done it ever since I heard about it, and it
works. My colds are very mild, and last two days at most if I catch it
early. I will say though that I'm generally not prone to colds; your
mileage may vary.

http://www.pulmonaryreviews.com/oct02/pr_oct02_cold.html
http://www.athleticnutrition.com/Article159.shtml
http://hsc.virginia.edu/newstips/Archives00/cold-rx.html

The third item mentioned in his studies, intranasal interferon, does not
yet have FDA approval. In one report I read which I can't find now, Dr.
Cold recommends just going with the two I mention; the partial therapy
was shown still to be a significant improvement over the placebo control
group.

Just thought you would like to know in case you catch a cold from ice
dam water dripping on your head, or a water-saturated snow-covered roof
collapse puts a spot of cold slush down your collar (obligatory
building-related content).

Dan Becker,  Exec. Dir.   "Dagnabit Muskie, who dropped
Raleigh Historic           the cotton pickin' roof on
Districts Commission       my toe bone?"
[log in to unmask]          -with apologies to Deputy Dawg
919/890-3678