AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Audrey Gorman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 11:03:46 -0600
Wendy and Axel and all,

The ALA Office for Diversity has been in the forefront of including people
with disabilities (PWDs) in the definition of diversity.  PWDs were even
represented at the very first Diversity Congress at ALA Midwinter 2000. I
think that some of Axel's initial impression is due not only to the need
for more response, but also to the terminology used.  "People with
Different Abilities" is not a term widely used or accepted when referring
to people with disabilities.  I suggest changing it to "People with
Disabilities" so that the intent is clear to all who visit the site.

Let's help both the Office for Diversity and the Office for Literacy and
Outreach Services (OLOS - see www.ala.org/olos) get more accessibility
content on their sites.  OLOS is considering starting a Subcommittee on
People with Disabilities and is committed to working on accessibility
issues too.

Let's also help ASCLA, the Association for Specialized and Cooperative
Library Agencies, which was my home when I worked at ALA.  See
www.ala.org/ascla, especially the "Issues" section and the work of relevant
groups such as the ADA Assembly and various sections that focus on PWDs.
 ASCLA is also the home of the Century Scholarship, which strives to
recruit people with disabilities to the library profession by providing
funds to library school students with disabilities. See
http://www.ala.org/ascla/centuryscholarship.html

Audrey