VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tom Fowle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Fowle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:42:04 -700
I and many others more talented than I have been beating our
heads on this brick wall of inaccessible mainstream technology
for more years than we want to remember.

there are expensive conferences on "universal design"
entire Rehabilitation engineering center grants on "technology
transfer" and so on.

the only major group of blind folks who have made any
signifficant headway at all are spanish blind folks and some of
there work.  Some of it is silly, some, like the Talx cell phone
screen reader is of real use.

They get this done because in spain, blind folks are the only
legal distributors of the official government lottery.  Thus they
have lots and lots of money.

Even then, they are only making differences in a few cases.

I see no reasonable chance that anything major will change as
long as western "civilization" is based on this greed, bottom
line, darn the consequences economic model.

Perhaps when we've borrowed ourselves into total collapse of the
current house of cards, and just before either the next ice age
or heat wave, we can figure out how to generate a civilization
whose goals are less narrow minded.

end of yet another tom Fowle diatribe.

Net-Tamer V 1.13 Beta - Registered