VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Christopher Chaltain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christopher Chaltain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 22:54:34 -0600
You asked about the difference between standby and hibernate.  Standby or
suspend means that the disks, monitor and everything but enough energy to
keep the RAM intact is shutdown.  Hibernate means that the contents of RAM
and some other settings are saved to the hard disk so that the CPU can
also be shutdown.  In either way, when you resume the computer should be
in the same state it was when you invoked power management.  The
documentation with my laptop suggests using suspend when you know your
power supply won't be interrupted and hibernate when it might be.

Fred Langa has a good Information Week article on this.  Check out
"InformationWeek > Fred Langa > Langa Letter: To Sleep, Perchance To
Hibernate... > September 27, 2002" at URL
http://informationweek.com/story/IWK20020927S0028.

Christopher

Christopher J Chaltain

Stu Turk <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List"
01/31/2003 03:18 PM
Please respond to Stu Turk