VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 00:30:32 -0500
How might we encourage parents to sign the permission slip so that their
blind child can learn how to use the Internet?  I suppose permission slips
are necessary because a teacher does not have absolute control of what one
may find on the Internet.  Beyond this week's hysteria of an
Internet-fueled goth culture and bomb making websites is an extremely
powerful information access tool for blind persons that opens up many
opportunities, simplifies many reading tasks, and reduces reliance on
personal readers.

I wonder if the parents would be open to an after work meeting to see a
demonstration of the Internet and what will be taught to the students.
Also, it might be helpful to connect the parents with blind adults who are
Internet users so that the parents can learn the benefits from end users
themselves.  Please share any other ideas.  Use the mail to link to send
private e-mail to the teacher herself.

kelly

mailto:[log in to unmask]

Saludos!  I am about to introduce my students to the Internet.  I see 8
students each one in a different school.  I need to have permission from
their parents.  Can any one of you help me to convince parents.  Why a
visually impaired student can benefit from the Internet?  My students are
bilingual/Spanish. And what adaptive equipment do some of you use?  'Muchas
gracias' in advance.

PS:  I do teach in Brooklyn, NYC and the students that will start using
the Internet, one hour a week, are 12 to 16 years of age.  My goal is to
teach students to do research and school assignments independently, and to
encourage them to find information about recreation, subway safety and to
share information with other students who are visually impaired.