From:
Neil Abrahams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 08:07:07 -0800
John Holman wrote:

>Can someone please explain or point me to an explanation of why Linseed oil
>is good while Rape seed oil (canola) is not.  They are both oils from seeds!
>So what's the difference???
>
>From "The Paleo Diet," by Loren Cordain:

/Best: Flaxseed oil /is, hands down, the best oil for you. It contains a
very low omega 6 to omega 3 ratio of 0.24. The next best bet is /canola
[rapeseed] oil/, with a ratio of 2.0 ...

Note: flaxseed oil is extremely quick to become rancid, it should be
kept out of light and refrigerated. The best way to get the beneftis is
probably by purchasing flaxseeds and grinding small amounts in coffee
grinders, then adding the ground seed to foods. It is not used in
cooking, in any case.