From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 02:34:56 -0500
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 18:12:28 -0700, Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>I'm curious as to why legumes are not permitted on the paleo diet.
Wouldn't
>>the hunter gatherers have eaten these?

>Legumes, by and large, must be soaked and then cooked before eating.  I
>can't think of an exception off the top of my head.  An easy rule -- if it
>can't be eaten raw, don't eat it.

Yesterday I ate very nice perfect raw green peas.
Peanuts are also a legume edible just raw.
Many others are edible raw - a little soaked or sprouted.
And this *is* stone age technology.
As is usage of fire (secured at 400,000 y.ago, some estimates go as far as
2,000,000 y back).

A lot
 of more detailed information on legumes and paleolithicum I found
here:

http://www.naturalhub.com/natural_food_guide_grains_beans_seeds.htm

Legumes are just "forbidden" because Ray Audette can't stand them.
Not per accident but because a lot of people a sensible to the lectins or
other antinutrient stuff in legumes.
That's a pragmatic and sensefull reasoning.
But not a paleolithic one.

Regards

A.S.