From:
Fredrik Murman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 2003 23:34:52 -0500
My message was cut down for some reason. Here it is again. This
time hopefully in its entirety.

Neil Abrahams <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Yes, the fish sauce recipe involves, I believe, since I no longer own
>the book and am stating this from memory, cutting off the heads of and
>salting small fish, then essentially keeping that in the refrigerator
>for some length of time, then straining it, or something similar.

I own a copy of the revised second edition of Nourishing Traditions.
The recipe you're referring to can be found on page 157, and it is
called "Fermented Fish Sauce". The fish is placed in a mason jar,
together with sea salt, filtered water, garlic, bay leaves,
peppercorns, lemon rinds, and whey. The jar is then covered tightly
and left at room temperature for about 3 days. Then it is placed in
a refrigerator for several weeks.

>I wasn't sure that the recipe was safe, so I provided it to a professor
>(who specializes in fish processing or a similar field) at Oregon State
>U. and asked if it was, indeed, safe. He made it clear that it was not,
>and any recipe like it wasn't either.

The intestinal tracts of fish contain clostridium botulinum, a bacteria
that grows in anaerobic conditions and produces a potent neurotoxin.
I've not tested this recipe, but my guess is that if the intestines are
removed and the fishes thoroughly washed before confining, the risk of
getting poisoned is minimal.

Fredrik