From:
Eva Hedin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 12:46:50 +0200
From: "Kylix _" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, June 15, 2003 6:38 AM
Subject: coconut oil

> Hello,
>
> I am terribly sorry for lurking all this time; this list has been very
> informative and lively, the people very well-informed, and the
> discussions intellectually engaging.
>
> What I mean to ask is, does anyone have any information
> about coconut oil? Pros/cons? How does it compare to, say, olive oil?
> Is it as bad as the other oil manufacturers crank it up to be?

Hello Kylix
The Kitavans ate a lot of coconuts that has a lot of saturated fat but the
did not eat any manufactured oils and they were a healthy lot. The oil that
we can buy in super markets in Europe has about 95% saturated fat which is
thought not to be good. It goes through chemical processes to become that
enamelshiny, whitish hard stuff that we (some of us, not I) use.

Olive oil comes in different tastes. If harvested early in spring/summer
they get a lot of a somewhat peppery taste. It is called "fruttario". Later,
in the middle of summer it is still rather strongish and the harvest is
larger. It is called "armonico". The autumn harvest gives an olive oil with
mild and soft taste. It is called "gentile". If you buy a gentile and it
tastes strong or off you should go back with it and tell the shopowner that
it is of bad quality. Gentile is what its name says.

The olive oil should be called Extra virgin olive oil or Virgin olive oil.
If it is called something else it has been pressed under heat and that
destroys many of the good things with olive oil. It is rich in vitamin-E
(12 - 13 mg/100 ml) and consists mainly of monounsaturated acids.
Olive oil has a many thousand year history and is probably one of the good
things in the Crete cost.
Eva