From:
Frances Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2003 23:52:23 +0100
>>> What is the ratio between omega 6 and omega 3 fatty
>> acids in fresh extra
>> virgin olive oil? Has anyone here experienced any
>> problems with olive oil?

I was always under the impression that olive oil was made up primarily of
omega 9. It is not an esential fatty acid. Oleic Acid is the primary
Mono-unsaturated fatty acid (MUFA) found in olive oil.

Oleic acid is associated with reducing atherosclerosis (hardening of the
arteries), reduced insulin resistance and, thus, improved glucose (blood
sugar) maintenance, improved immune system function, and for possible
protective effects from some cancers. Numerous studies point to a modest
beneficial effect of olive oil consumption on breast cancer risk.. And of
course the high vitamin E content makes it a great antioxidant. Not all olive
oils are the same. I got this breakdown of fatty acids from
http://www.jarrow.com/products/oliveoil.htm. (I am not endorsing this
product). IT's Fatty Acid Profile (Avg.): Omega 6 is 8% and Omega 9 is 82%. So
according to this there is no omega 3 in olive oil. And therefore hardly
interferes with omega 3 and 6 ratio.

I don't know if this is true but read that the ideal ratio of oils is one part
Omega 3 to three parts Omega 6 to one part Omega 9. I try to keep my omega 3 a
bit higher. In answer to the person who asked why the cod liver oil is good
for arrhythmia. It is because of the omega 3. Since discovering the remarkable
effect of omega 3 on heart rhythm I have eaten fresh or kippered herring
daily, and that along with paleo has stopped a twenty year career of irregular
heart or if you prefer atrial fibrillation.

I don't know if there are any health problems associated with olive oil, but I
would suspect that anything in too high a dosage could be problematical. I
however, use olive oil as my only fat source, apart from what comes in whole
food. I know it is not particulary paleo, but I like it.

Fran