From:
Jens Wilkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 19:10:03 -0700
--- Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >Actually, I'm not really fully convinced that
> grains are inherently bad for
> >us...
>
> the carbs
> provide so-called "empty calories" which, by
> themselves, leave them verboten
> for many, myself included.

I think my statement wasn't very well phrased. What I
meant to say by "fully" is that I'm 90% convinced but
that I still have some doubts. But I also should be
clear that my doubts are not about grains not being
good for us -- I'm fully convinced of that, i.e. that
there's no good reason to eat them. The doubts regard
whether in limited quantities they're really that
harmful. There are huge problems caused by grains in
Asia and other places in the developing world, but a
lot are because the place in the diet is so large that
people get lots of deficiencies. I should also say
though that I'm avoiding grains because I think that
the weight of the evidence is on that side.

Jens