From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 13:11:24 -0500
copyright(c) NY Times
Science Desk | August 27, 2002, Tuesday
A DOCTOR'S JOURNEY; Ancient Ways, Harsh Terrain and Many Bugs

By BEN DAITZ (NYT) 3111 words
Late Edition - Final , Section F , Page 1 , Column 1
ABSTRACT - University of New Mexico School of Medicine faculty member Dr Ben
Daitz describes visit with colleague Dr Hilly Kaplan and other members of
medical-anthropological team to isolated communities of Chimane Indians in
Bolivia's Amazon jungle; team is studying health and the evolution of human
behavior; photos; map (L) Roosters are on my mind. After all, Hilly Kaplan
and I have been up all night talking with ''El Gallo,'' -- the Rooster, if
you will -- certainly one of the most fascinating men I've ever met, and not
just because of the Cuban rum we have been nipping on till four in the
morning.

El Gallo is a Bolivian hydraulic engineer, and Hilly and I have been sitting
for five hours on the porch of his mother's small hotel in San Borja,
Bolivia, a frontier town of 12,000 people in the Bolivian Amazon. We have
been talking Bolivian and world politics, rural development, anthropology
and health care. El Gallo is well versed in almost all those topics, quietly
charismatic in multiple languages, but best of all, he is a great
storyteller.

The article is fascinating --

--Richard