From:
Rob Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 15:22:38 -0500
> Here's another idea.
> How would it be to eat food items high enough in *cysteine*?
> I'll run a report to see food items high in cysteine, relative to
> methionine. Maybe these would work anti-homocysteine.
> And be as good against CHD etc. as sources of folate.

"While the body can absorb glutathione intact, the rest of the body must
assemble it from its basic components - of which the sulpher-containing
amino acid cysteine is the most crucial.  Cysteine, however, cannot be taken
in its pure form because it is highly toxic on its own.

N-acetylcysteine (NAC) is a form of cysteine that is readily absorbed.  One
problem with NAC is that it can aggravate some people, so I have stopped
recommending it for my patients.  For the same reason, I have also stopped
recommending cilantro, chlorella, and various homeopathic remedies that are
touted as mercury detoxifiers.

One nutritional source of cysteine that I do recommend is whey protein
powder.  Whey is the protein left over after milk has been curdled to remove
the protein casein during cheese-making.  It is important that the whey is
not overprocessed - especially by overheating - because the proteins can be
easily denatured.  Whey contains two cysteines joined together in the form
of cystine, which makes it both readily absorbed and non-toxic.  Your body
can split the cystine into two cysteines, as needed.  Whey is lower in
lactose and casein than milk, so it is less likely to be an allergen than
whole milk."

source: Eating Alive 2, Dr. John Matsen, ND

Rob