NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Marla Shapiro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 15:32:30 -0500
there's always a risk of "natural [and ARTIFICIAL] flavors" containing dairy, & we avoid any foods w/ natural flavors listed UNLESS i've verified that the natural/artificial flavors in that particular case don't include dairy in any form. i've personally found, by calling various food mfrs. tho, that some companies will always list dairy ingredients (or other "major" allergens), regardless of how small an amount is used (like nabisco, & pillsbury. but don't just take my word for it; please call them too!).

as far as caramels go, i'm sure someone will not hesitate to correct me if i'm wrong (!), but i would think it would depend on a particular company's manufacturing process & idiosyncratic ingredients. only way you'll find that out, aside from reading the label, is to call the mfr directly.

hope this helps...marla

Marla Shapiro, Ph.D.
MSC 5A0622
Regents Center for Learning Disorders
Georgia State University
33 Gilmer Street SE, Unit 5
Atlanta, GA 30303-3085

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/17/03 03:18PM >>>
Hi all.
My two year old is anaphylactic to dairy so conscientious label reading is a
must.  I've been having a hard time figuring out if caramel, carmel and
"natural"  colouring/coloring or flavors contain dairy?  All I could find on
the net were cooking instructions. Any info on this would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks,
Lisa