NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Myra Spector <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 08:32:38 EST
I too figured out I was lactose intolerant after a year of being constanly
doubled over in the bathroom. The LI test was off the charts.
I find myself telling waiters for example, that I have "allergies". They
listen better when they think I may go into shock and die at their table.
The difference between an enzyme inolerance and an allergy is hard for most
people to grasp. Also, it is hard for them to comprehend just how many foods
contain milk product. I am also alcohol intolerant which is another enzyme
deficiency. Alcohol does NOT cook off.
I know how afraid I am to try new things. A wise allergist also told me how
long it can take the intestinal lining and colon to heal from the abuse of
invasive testing (up to a year).
 So hang in and good luck.
Myra