MUNIRAH Archives

The MUNIRAH Chronicle of Black Historical Events & Facts

MUNIRAH@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Munirah Chronicle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 07:15:19 -0500
*		Today in Black History - February 14		*

*  In the E-mail body place:  Subscribe Munirah Your FULL Name        *

1760 - Richard Allen, is born into slavery in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
	He will purchase his freedom in 1786 and will become a preacher
	the same year.  He will become the first African American ordained
	in the Methodist Episcopal Church (1799), and founder of the
	African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church in 1816, and first bishop
	of the AME Church.  He will join the ancestors on March 26, 1831.

1818 - The birth of Frederick Douglass in Tuckahoe (Talbot County),
	Maryland, is attributed to this date.  He will state, "I have no
	accurate knowledge of my age, never having seen any authentic
	record containing it... and it is the wish of most masters within
	my knowledge to keep their slaves thus ignorant." He will be a
	great African American leader and "one of the giants of
	nineteenth century America.  He was born Frederick Bailey and
	will change his name to Douglass after he escapes slavery in
	1838. He will join the ancestors on February 20, 1895 in
	Washington, DC.

1867 - Morehouse College is organized in Augusta, Georgia.  The school
	will be moved later to Atlanta.

1867 - New registration law in Tennessee abolishes racial distinctions
	in voting.

1936 - The National Negro Congress is organized at a Chicago meeting
	attended by eight hundred seventeen delegates representing more
	than five hundred organizations.  Asa Phillip Randolph of the
	Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters is elected president of the
	new organization.

1946 - Gregory Hines is born in New York City.  A child tap-dancing star
	in the group Hines, Hines, and Dad, Hines will lead a new
	generation of tap dancers that will benefit from the advice and
	teaching of such tap legends as Henry Le Tang,  "Honi" Coles,
	Sandman Sims, the Nicholas Brothers, and Sammy Davis, Jr.  Hines
	will also become a successful actor in movies including "White
	Knights," "Tap," and "A Rage in Harlem." He will join the
	ancestors on August 9, 2003.

1951 - Sugar Ray Robinson defeats Jake LaMotta and wins the middleweight
	boxing title.

1957 - Lionel Hampton's only major musical work, "King David", makes its
	debut at New York's Town Hall.  The four-part symphony jazz
	suite was conducted by Dimitri Mitropoulos.

1966 - Wilt Chamberlain breaks the NBA career scoring record at 20,884
	points after only seven seasons as a pro basketball player.

1978 - Maxima Corporation, a computer systems and management company, is
	incorporated.  Headquartered in Lanham, Maryland, it will become
	one of the largest African American-owned companies and earn its
	founder, chairman and CEO, Joshua I. Smith,  chairmanship of the
	U.S. Commission on Minority Business Development.