BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mike Devonshire <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"Let us not speak foul in folly!" - ][<en Phollit
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 17:17:12 -0500
In a message dated 2/26/2003 4:33:22 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

> My mother has this valley problem at the corner of the unheated garage in an area where you have to walk next to the massive icicle to get into the house... sometimes 6' in length and massive like Ralph's leg. We have tried all sorts of things over the years and I'm hoping the last one will be her
> selling the house during the summer.

Ken-

At the Arctic house with which you are familiar, I recently had an icecicle which extended from the SW corner eave to the ground, eventually approximately
20" in diameter, which encased the rear quarter of the "upstate car", so that it could not be moved. Only judicious use of an axe and several other implements of war freed the car and allowed access to the nearby cellar hatch. I managed to take a nice piece of beaded 1790's corner trim out with the axe which will require four hours of dutchman time in the Spring.

The real solution to ice damming and related freeze conditions is, I feel, to move to Savannah or Charleston(ok, maybe Beaufort, but they never pronounce it correctly).

V.I.