Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Jens Wilkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 00:25:56 -0700
--- Theola Walden Baker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I think it's practically impossible for an
> individual to know what foods
> he/she is genetically, or inherently, adapted to.
> Ancestry can only be
> traced back so far to give any of us a clue.

I'm impressed I guess that you have taken that kind of
trouble. But for the spans that we're talking about in
paleo, i.e. more than 10,000 years ago and really up
until maybe a million years ago, our individual
ancestries are going to be of extremely limited use.
For one thing, there was mixing that we really don't
know anything about, and on top of that, the climates
all over the world were extremely different from what
they are today, i.e. there were glaciers covering much
of the northern hemisphere up until about 10,000 years
ago. So we can't really do much at all based on that
kind of lineage.

What we really can do, though, is look at evidence of
what our ancestors ate say 50,000 years ago and make
judgments based on that, but it's not going to be
different based on your ethnic heritage. We can be
pretty safe in asserting that all humans ate green
vegetables, fruits, meat, fish and shellfish (and
insects, of course, but it's not a habit I am really
keen on recreating...). And also, it's true that there
have been extinctions and all that, but I don't think
that eating a white-tail deer is going to be all that
different from eating an Irish deer or whatever they
were called. The thing is that grains were only added
to our diet recently, for any humans, and so you can
rest assured that your ancestors 50,000 years ago
weren't eating wheat whether you're from German,
Chinese, or African ancestry.