Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 16:36:59 -1000
From:
Secola/Nieft <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Kirt:
>> Have you ever done anthropological studies on Hawaii?

andrew:
> No. it would be interesting to do it. have you?

No. The point is that you trash Cordain for using the studies of others, but
that is all that you do--and you think you are an expert, that Cordain is
very much lessor than you. Such strange goings on.

>>> In Phillipines it can be got in the markets. how much vitamin A >>does raw
> tuna liver have?
>> A lot. But they are somewhat tiny.
> how much is a lot? how tiny is tiny?

You tell me. You brought it up, as if it somehow proved that your insults of
Cordain had some merit. Doesn't make much sense.

>> if Cordain was privvy to such information, as you are, then he >would be
> worth listening to?
> i wasn't privy to it. i spent a few minutes finding it.

And Cordain has likely spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours "finding it".
Who is more credible?

>> Or does he have to come to Hawaii and talk to some >fishermen?
> Cordain doesnt have to do anything, its a free world.  but if he doesnt do
> anthropological studies, or paleo-archeological studies, he is no more an
> expert on the field of paleo/traditional diets than say, an exercise
> physiologist or a violinist.

A violinist can be an expert on a particular composer, the history of a
particular aspect of music, paleo-nutrition or theoretical physics. It has
nothing to do with being a violinist or a exercise researcher. Becoming an
expert has to primarily to do with studying and researching a particular
topic. Some of the research involves studying others' research.

If you expect to be taken as more than rude, you need to provide compelling
arguments, original study, or original research--and then quit being rude.
Cordain has done an admirable job off all these. Even, apparently, to the
point of giving you the time of day. Like most everybody on the list, I
don't jibe with everything Cordain has concluded, but that doesn't mean he
hasn't my respect as a scholar. You don't.

> he could say, truthfully, " as a violinist i believe paleo man ate lean
> meat."   Many amateurs have made valuable contributions in many fields. but
> people would be forwarned this was an amateur's opinion [violinist,
> physiologist etc], and scrutinise his logic and consistency more carefully.

Scrutinize away. But alienating everyone within reach isn't going to help
much. Of course, that probably depends on your goal which is somewhat
mystifying to me.

Cheers,
Kirt