C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2003 08:29:04 -0400
7bit
From:
Therapeutic riding and hippotherapy are two different animals so to speak
(hey, I made a pun<grin>.  Therapeutic riding programs usually the goal is
more of a recreational nature, learing to ride, riding, having fun.  The
activities may have the added physical, psychosocial, recreational benefit.
In hippotherapy the horse is used as a big therapy ball.  Mind you a couple
hundred pound, furry, nipping, neighing, eating machine therapy ball but, a
therapy ball non the less.  Hippotherapy is generally run by occupational,
physical, and sometimes even speech therapists.
Either program for maximum effectiveness should be run by someone with
experience and should be approved by some organizition usually NARHA.

Beth T the OT