From:
Corinne Alexander <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Corinne Alexander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:53:28 -0800

Hello everyone,

I just contacted Foster Farms about their chicken, including the chicken sold at Costco under the Foster Farms/Kirkland brand.  Below is their reply:

Dear Corinne Alexander:

Thank you for contacting Foster Farms.  Our fresh natural chicken, turkey and fresh frozen chicken with broth (this does not include marinated or flavored varieties) are gluten free.  Also our ground chicken and turkey with natural flavors contain only spice extractives of rosemary and black pepper.

Many of our other products contain spices or flavorings that are pre-blended by outside spice manufacturers, who cannot guarantee that the blends are 100% gluten free.  Current federal labeling laws allow for the presence of very small quantities of incidental ingredients or processing aids, which are not listed on the ingredient statements of these spice blends.  For example, processing equipment may have been dusted with flour to aid the flow of spice materials, or the equipment could have residue from a spice blend that was prepared just before our batch.  Some of our products also contain modified food starch that is generally derived from corn; however, our supplier may use other sources that could potentially contain gluten, depending on availability.  Because we are concerned that in this type of condition, even a minute quantity of gluten could be detrimental and the effects cumulative, we recommend avoiding any of our products that contain modified food starch, spices or flavorings.

Sincerely,

Teresa Lenz
Consumer Affairs Manager, Foster Farms