From:
frank bukovac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
frank bukovac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 18:49:27 -0600

Sorry for the delay in posting this summary, but I was still receiving
responded; however, I couldn't acknowledge each one due to the number of
association between Raynaud's and Celiac.  I have Celiac, in addition to
other autoimmune diseases, and Raynaud's.  My Celiac daughter and
preteen granddaughter have both now developed Raynaud's.

I received approximately 30 responses.  A number of people either
requested information about Raynaud's since they had never heard of it
or advised that they have Celiac and Raynaud's and/or have siblings or
children with both.

A number posted advice on dealing with Raynaud's but did not address the
specific issue of a possible association with Celiac.  Therefore, for
sake of brevity, I haven't included those responses.

For those who requested information of Raynaud's,  blood flow to the
fingers, toes, nose, or ears occurs when cold triggers a spasm within
the blood vessels, an over sensitivity to cold.  Typically, the skin
turns white, then blue, then red as the skin warms.  In severe cases,
ulcerations may occur. Some people can simply have Raynaud's without
another underlying utoimmune disease.  My rheumy told me that typically
if one develops Raynaud's over the age of 50, it usually is associated
with another autoimmune disease, which I had never read before.

Comments that I received regarding the connection with Celiac are the
following:

1)  People who have one autoimmune disorder are very likely to
have/develop others as well.  I haven't spoken to a single celiac who
didn't also have something else going on as well.
2)  See http://www.elliotthealthcare.com/gluten_intolerance.htm.
3)  www.celiac.com
4)  http://www.raynauds.org/pages/raynaud.htm
5)  May be an association with autoimmune disease but not diagnostic of
any disease.
6)  http://www.raynauds.org/pages/raynaud.htm
7)  Raynaud's syndrome is ...brought on by atherosclerosis, some
occupational practices (frequent use of jack hammers, etc.), collagen
diseases, or drugs derived from ergot, a fungus that grows on the rye,
wheat, and barley.   I suspect that you would benefit from testing for
common food allergies.
I subscribe to the theory of molecular mimicry as it relates to a leaky
gut. Celiacs are well known for their increased intestinal permeability,
which may well underlie the development of further food allergies. If
you wish to avoid the expense of such testing, just keep a food diary
for a few weeks. When you have identified the foods that you eat daily
or every other day, change your diet to eliminate all of them. If your
Raynaud's and Sjogren's symptoms improve, then you have both an improved
understanding of your condition, and a dietary therapy to help alleviate
them.  I would also like to suggest that you check for any ergot-derived
drugs you might be taking. These drugs are commonly used to treat
migraine headaches. Ergot is also the source from which LSD is refined,
which is probably not relevant to your situation.

As always, you have been most helpful!  Daughter, granddaughter and I
appreciate your input so very much.

Sandra