From:
Janice Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janice Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 12:53:15 -0500

This seems a little off-topic but since so many of us seem to have other
food intolerances, there may be someone who can help.

I'm trying to eliminate corn from my diet. After removing the obvious
sources, I'm discovering more and more "ingredients" are derived from a
corn base. I seem to have had reactions to citric acid, glucose, fructose,
and dextrose.

I have been in contact with Ricola about their throat lozenges which are
gluten-free. The ingredients list: sugar, glucose syrup, citric acid and
natural flavourings. I do not seem to have any bad reaction to Ricola.

Here is their answer when I asked about wheat, corn and soy:

- FYI all Ricola products are gluten free and contain no soy. The starch
syrup is derived from corn, however is processed to the point that it
contains no proteins.

I'm having a problem with their response.
a) they don't even mention the citric acid - could it be made from citrus?
b) is it true about the protein being processed out of it???
c) is it only the corn protein I'm reacting to, or is it the corn itself

If this had been a gluten answer I would not have found it acceptable.
Should I apply the same standards to my corn questions?

Janice.