From:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 10:06:29 -0500

When Bell & Evans suggested to one reader here that their turkeys might
possibly be a problem because some of them might eat feed with gluten, I
questioned whether this would actually cause trouble with any animal. I'm
absolutely sure it doesn't with beef and nearly as sure when it comes to
other animals. Almost everybody who responded agreed that gluten fed to
animals we eat is not something to be concerned about.

A couple of people did mention hormones or antibiotics. Although I am not a
scientist or a doctor, I would guess that it most certainly IS possible to
react to hormones or antibiotics in feed because they are almost certainly
processed or absorbed in a different way. As for me, I will continue to eat
meat no matter wg=hat the animal dines on.

Following are the replies I got (except one about antibiotics in Bell and
EVans that I accidentally deleted).

My husband is a PhD immunologist and he responded to this question once
before that the animal fully metabolizes the gluten and that this is not an
issue for us. It's always curiosity to ask these questions so we can learn
something. I had the same type of response from a consumer rep. just a
couple of days ago.  It would seem odd that a consumer rep. would think of
this as even a possibility which shows high conscience but unfortunately,
lack of knowledge.

Sounds like someone in Customer Service at Bell & Evans needs to be
educated.  Are you volunteering for the job?

This person doesn't know diddly about celiac disease to send you an answer
like that.

Hi Richard...I say "enjoy your turkey!"

I agree. While I have heard a lot of people questioning what an animal was
fed, I have never seen anything to sugest that the feed makes the meat
either GF or non-GF.

Dear Richard, Just wanted to forward an example of the same type of consumer
response to dental floss I received as similar to your Bell & Evans
response;  It's almost amusing though I respect the conscience of these
reps. "Thank you for your interest in and enthusiasm for GLIDE(R) Floss and
for taking the time to write to us. Our tests do not indicate the presence
of gluten. However, we do not monitor its presence frequently and since we
use natural beeswax, there is a small chance for glutens to be present over
time depending on the bees' diet.

It doesn't....The gluten in not laid down in their bodies just as it is not
laid down in ours.  Digestion works the same, proteins are broken down into
small pieces to be absorbed. The protein sequences that are left cause the
immune system response in our gut and product antibodies, not traces of
gluten, in our tissues.

No "evidence," just what the docs call "anecdotal" accounts. Meaning they
happened to me, but they weren't part of an experiment, so they don't
deserve belief, according to the doctors. I get sick on some brands of
chicken, including Bell & Evans, but not on others, including kosher brands
like Empire and some free range ones, so those are what I buy. I have had
gluten-like reactions to several brands of chicken, including B&E, and to
many brands of beef. Beef that is not hormonally treated seems to be OK for
me, and I think it is possible that I'm reacting against hormones or
antibiotics, as I'm allergic to several antibiotics, and could be having a
cross-reaction to treated meats and poultry. So it may be an individual
reaction to the antibiotics, not a
gluten issue. I have no problem with GMO-free or truly organic meats either.

cheers
richard

Richard Lovegrove
Publications, Virginia Tech