Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 08:48:24 -0600
7bit
From:

Happy Holidays to all out there!

Here is the summary on dog foods.  Thanks so much I received a *great*
number of responses.  Though I haven't been able to reply personally to
everyone I really appreciate each and every response!  Thank you all,
you folks are great.

Robin
Minnesota (see summary below)

Suggestions to wear a mask and gloves.  Also to scrub better under
fingernails.

Most people felt it could be a problem to feed gluten laiden dog food.

Many say dog food would not have an effect with breathing it in.

Many say why not just go ahead and feed gluten free... That most likely
the dogs will benefit being free of the toxic grain. They feel their
dogs have seemed even healthier after going to a gluten free kibble.
*(the possible problem with this for me is 'greyhounds'.  I have been
looking at a few gluten free foods and a lot of them contain soy in some
form.  This causes a lot of greyhounds to have very bad gas.  But I will
look at the ingrediants of a couple more of them I haven't checked yet.
Thanks!)

Suggested brands to try are usually *lamb and rice* varieties. (I have
no affiliation with any of these.)

Sensible Choice
Diamond
Natural Recipe - Sporting Dogs
Nutro Lamb and Rice
Kirkland

Some specific answers:(via copy and paste)

Breathing in gluten through the air is not a problem when it goes into
your lungs, BUT it can be a problem when it gets in the mucous in the
back of your throat, which you then swallow sometimes.

Also, that dust floating around is landing all over you. Even after you
wash your hands you might then wipe it off your clothes or your hair.
And when you wash your hands are you certain your're getting it all out
from under your fingernails? These are probably small bits of gluten but
they start adding up.

********************************
If you read ingredients and buy dog food that doesn't have obvious
gluten sources (call and check with manufacturer if there are cellulose
fillers), and if you use diposable gloves (food handler gloves at GFS -
 Gordon Food Service - come in boxes) it might help.

Scrubbers, cloths,  etc. you use to clean bowls should be for the dog
food bowls only.

Let's put it this way, I make sure my dog eats gluten free, so that when
she kisses me, I don't get any gluten!
**************************************
I'd love to know if exposure to dog food and dog treats is bad.  My 3yr
old
loves to feed our dog and give her treats.  The labels say the food and
treats contain wheat and oatmeal.  She is told to wash her hands right
away because she still puts her hands in her mouth a great deal.  I was
told a Celiac person has to consume the gluten for it to have any
effect.  Her blood tests just came back slightly elivated.  I am very
careful with her food and drinks.
*********************************
I think it is a problem for me sometimes. I feed the only "inside
animal"
non-wheat food now. The chicken food likely has wheat in it (they don't
list ingredients on chicken food). I switched the dog to non-wheat food
though, and my "itchy hand" problems are decidedly less. I don't know
what
the route of "infection" is -- it may have gotten under my nails or
breathed in, I don't know -- but there is non-wheat dogfood available. I

don't think wheat is good for dogs either: some dogs actually get
celiac,
believe it or not (they use gluten-sensitive dogs for testing, I read in
study result once).
****************************
I really doubt that it is a problem - especially since you keep it apart
from your food, and keep things so clean.

Yes, some people swear they react to airborne flour, etc, which could
end up in the digestive tract, but in minimal amounts (unless you work
in a bakery all day - and even then it's questionable).

More likely is that you may still be getting trace gluten from foods you

think are safe.  Or, it could be some other food.  My husband and I
really
believe there must be some other foods we are sensitive to, which cause
similar but milder symptoms than gluten.
***************************
We switched to a gluten free dog food about two years ago (Kirkland Lamb
& Rice) and our Pomeranians are doing great.  In fact, we (dogs) have
fewer health problems now without gluten than we did before (we have a
few too many Poms).  There are several good GF dog foods available and,
when you think about it, you aren't likely to see dogs eating grains in
the wild.  Since I am allergic to rice, we still have to be very careful
with the dog food
I have certainly become ill from only inhaling flour...most recently at
the grocery, where the checkout girl was cleaning a flour spill on the
counter.  I coughed, wheezed, and had immediate gluten reactions.
Perhaps you could experiment wearing gloves and a surgical type mask to
see if it helps.