From:
Maureen Dolan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Maureen Dolan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 May 2003 20:41:24 -0500

Hi everyone! A few days ago I posted a message asking for any gluten free
recipes for smoothies. I received several recipes and wanted to summarize
them with you. Also thank you to those of you who responded. I have made
several of the recipes and have enjoyed each of them so far. This is a great
resource!

Maureen
Austin, Texas

GF Smoothie’s

Fruit Smoothie
1 cup (240 mL) red seedless grapes
1 cup (240 mL) strawberries
1 banana
1 cup (240 mL) ice

Hint: If using frozen strawberries, do not add ice.
Place all ingredients in the Vita-Mix container in the order listed. Secure
2-part lid. Select VARIABLE, speed #1. Turn on machine and quickly increase
speed to #10; then to HIGH. Run for 1 minute, or until smooth. Serve
immediately.

Speed: High
Time: 1 minute
Yield: 2-1/2 cups (600 mL)

About 8 strawberries, sliced (we use fresh)
1 banana, sliced
about 1/2 to 3/4 cup orange juice

blend and enjoy.....

you can easily make them with all fresh fruit or some frozen. Like 2
fresh or frozen) bananas -- add strawberries and mango. or any fresh fruit
you like.  I cut open a young coconut and use the meat in the smoothie also
sometimes and drink the water.   You can also add VIRGIN coconut oil/butter
(via the internet-not in stores that is virgin)  My son makes a big pitcher
in the Am and drinks thru out the day-- although there will be some enzyme
loss.

All my measurements are approximate.

Throw in a blender,
1 cup apple juice
1 container(8oz) vanilla yogurt(GF of course)
1 frozen banana broken in 1/2
couple handfuls of frozen fruit(strawberries, tropical fruit)

Blend until smooth. This will get very thick

don't really use a recipe- I just throw stuff in and blend until it looks
right.
I will try to guess:
1/2 banana
10 frozen strawberries
A few frozen peach slices or mangos or pineapple
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 cup water, orange juice, apple juice or a combination of those.
Blend and enjoy
Good Luck.

I use the following for a great smoothie.

1 cup frozen strawberries
1 cup Orange Juice
1 Banana
8 oz GF Yogurt - Vanilla or Plain - I use Columbo

I have lots, but two of my favorites:
Strawberries (frozen make it thick), banana, orange juice,, and optional gf
vanilla, sugar/honey, milk. My current favorite: 1 pear (peeled and diced),
juice and zest from 1/2 lime, 1 small can of pineapple juice and if you want
to add protein combine with any variety of skim milk, yogurt, cottage
cheese. I bought one of those wand blenders, throw everything in a wide
glass, stick in the wand, and it's done with little mess.

I was diagnosed 2 years ago with CD. I have a smoothie for breakfast almost
every day.  This is my recipe.  You can adjust it to your own taste.
SMOOTHIE
1/4 of a brick of high protein tofu (12-15g per serving)
1/4C white cranberry/strawberry juice
1/4C plain Stonyfield (non or low-fat) yogurt
1/2 ripe banana
1/2C+  frozen strawberries
1/2C+  any other frozen fruit (cherry, peach, raspberries etc)

We love strawberries, bananas, stoneyfield plain yogurt, and you can add soy
milk, or regular milk and whey protein powder from NOW if you wish for added
value.

I live on home made smoothies during the summer.  I don't measure anything
and so am trying to figure out quantities here.  Just experiment and have
fun!

1 cup Nancy's Plain Yogurt (or any good quality GF yogurt - we've found that
Nancy's brand is the absolute best we can find out here)
1/2 to 1 cup regular milk or soy milk (depending on if you like them thick
or thin)a bit of honey or sugar maybe a splash of cinnamon
ripe banana any other ripe fruit(I make combos with all sorts of fruits:
strawberries, peaches, apricots, plums, oranges, etc etc.) anything that's
either on sale or looks good.
when I've had a bad bout with gluten, I'll add rice or soy protein.

I use frozen strawberries or blueberries (Cascadian Farms or Trader Joe's),
a banana, gf plain yogurt, and add vanilla and/or honey to taste.  I don't
usually measure; it depends how you like them.

1 carton GF yogurt (Yoplait)
1 c fruit juice (minute maid orange)
1 c frozen fruit - should just be fruit, maybe sugar
1 banana

put in blender - mix.  Serves two.  Very cooling, very filling.  You can
experiment with the flavors of the fruit, the juice and the yogurt, but
pretty much anything goes!

There are lots of variations on a theme where smoothie recipes
are concerned, so I guess you need to alter one to your own liking.  We
make ours with GF vanilla yogurt (usually Safeway or Yoplait), milk (or
water or juice), and frozen or fresh fruit.  Put into blender and blend. You
can add sweeteners, if it isn't already sweet enough.  Sometimes we add
chocolate to a banana smoothie.

Is the chain Jamba Juice in your area?  They make great smoothies and are
gluten free as long as you do not add a boost to it.  The boosts are not
gluten free.  We have them all the time.  Barb

I use 6-8 oz OJ, 4-6 oz of Stoneyfield vanilla yogurt (w/insulin, good for
the digestive tract), a banana, a scoop of Designer protein powder (French
vanilla flavored -- is GF), and crushed ice.  Blend it up and it's a great
breakfast or snack.

I whip up smoothies with GF Yogurt (We use Yoplait), GF juice - (We use
minute maid Blends in the carton - I like the cranberry or some of the more
"exotic - like mango) and frozen berries, plus the bananas that I've frozen
after they turned brown and soft.  It's fast and easy.

Smoothies are naturally GF. You can make them with simply fruit and water or
fruit and ice or fruit and juice/yogurt/milk. I often freeze fruit, like
strawberries, blueberries, bananas, etc. and then mix them in a smoothy
directly without adding anything else. Really healthy choice. Also at times
I make them with added juice or yogurt. I use the yogurt if I want something
a little richer, more like dessert. I don't have a recipe I just mix
everything to taste. Good luck and ENJOY!

We start with a cold can of pineapple and add juice, frozen fruit, fresh
fruit, whatever is around. If you want to sweeten it use honey, easier on
your tummy than white sugar.

If we have overripe fruit I peel and cut it up and freeze it in chunks or in
an ice cube tray. Then it's handy when you're making a smoothie.

I especially like frozen chunks of mango with orange juice.

We try to use either mango or banana, as these fruits help thicken the
mixture and it doesn't separate nearly as quickly as other fruit.