Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 11:10:06 -0800

Thank You all for giving me a wealth of information about San Antonio,Texas.
1.Recommended Doctors: Two people recommended Dr. Franz Zurita at 7940 Floyd Curl, 210-615-8308. He has "great bedside manner and extremely knowledgeable." Dr. Delbert Chumley 8214 Wurzbach, 210-614-1234. Dr. Mahendra Patel (a hematologist who diagnoses many with Celiac) 7711 Louis Pasteur, 210-614-9973. Ann Barfield, the chairperson of the Alamo Celiac Support Group gave her number 210-340-0648 to call for other names of doctors from a list she has compiled from the support group.

2. Health Food Stores: 1. Whole Foods is located in Quarry Market. There is a website www.wholefoods.com and I did find the address in San Antonio as well as the list of gluten-free products at their stores which I printed out for my Uncle. 2. Central Market is another store located on Broadway in Alamo Heights. 3. Sun Harvest on 281 at 1604. I was also told that some of the larger  HEB grocery stores have a health section that have a few GF items.

3.Support Groups: San Antonio sounds like a great place for support for us celiacs. The Alamo Celiac Support Group in San Antonio and Austin areas have a terrific website at www.alamoceliac.org . Ann Barfield the chairperson of this group gave me much helpful information. I visited the website and was certainly impressed with the information about upcoming meetings, restaurant information and educational information. I printed this out and sent this to my Uncle in hopes he can use the support if he does have Celiac.

I did speak to my Uncle and my Aunt regarding his weight loss and possible connection to Celiac Disease, however I also discovered that he has stopped taking his medications for at least 3 months such as lipitor, high blood pressure meds, and thyroid meds. I think he is trying to save money because his wife takes many expensive meds. for her cardiac problems. He has an appointment with an Internal Medicine doctor that his wife uses on March 19 so I hope some answers can be found. This is a frustrating situation as there is no one close to check out what is really happening. I appreciate the great information .

Jane