From:
Betsey Carus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 23:34:16 -0500

ShopRite is a grocery store chain in the NE USA. One store I use here in
Baltimore carries their products as the "house brand" although the store
is not a ShopRite store. So I contacted the parent corporation Wakefern
Food Corp via phone and asked for their gluten free products list. They
sent a long reply, part of which was the following paragraph:

>Due to the extensive product line of ShopRite products, we do not
>have a list available of gluten-free products.  Additionally, if >product formulations change, we would not want you to base your >decision on incorrect or outdated information.

The rest of the email refered me to various sources of information about
celiac and the first part was a a discussion about cross contamination
and how we cannot have any gluten.

They also included the following statement:
>Please contact us at 732-906-5155 (collect calls accepted) Monday - >Friday from 8:00 am - 4:30pm if we can be of further assistance to you >with this matter.

Disappointing but I will cope. At about the same time I also sent an
email asking for information from Safeway and immediately got a 60 page
PDF list of Safeway brand kosher products (their gf list has been posted
to this list by other members). The difference in attitude was soooo
obvious. A Safeway is being built near to the store that carries the
ShopRite products so I know I will be checking out Safeway's gf
products.

Betsey Carus
Baltimore, MD USA