From:
Set Digest <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 16:55:11 GMT

Hi,

I sent a post a few days ago....but apparently it didn't go through.  I have written several times in recent months about my son Jesse.  He is the child who at age 9 (last April) started with symptoms like poison ivy on his shins.  It never went away and it finally occurred to me it might be DH.  He went gluten free and on Dapsone in September.  He started to clear of his head to toe rash everywhere except his shins.  They are still awful.  My very slow and I am beginning to feel incompetent doctor finally did a skin biopsy yesterday.

Here's the struggle I need help with.  He got nearly better except his shins--they are weeping and crusty and awful!  Recently, he broke out all over his body again while GF.  In my research and in many of the posts I received from members of this list I have come across the idea that people with DH are sensitive to iodine.  First, is that sensitivity in all DH patients or only those on Dapsone?  I found too that many of the GF things I have been feeding him are high in iodine: potato (P Starch Flour, chips, fries etc), tuna, sea salt (in most marketed GF healthfoods), dairy products (yogurt, milk etc), egg yolk, and beans (including SOY).  Did any of you with DH have to forgo most foods known to man to get clear initially!?  What do I feed him?  Jello and marshmallows appear to be the only sweets other than homemade...except Jello with Red Dye #3, made from red seaweed, the item with the highest levels of iodine one can find.  Then there's salt.  Either everyone out tthere uses noniodized salt or they just don't want to deal with it in their labeling.  I have seen only one item that listed iodine content and all labels merely say salt.  Have any of you contacted companies to find out what type of salt they use?  Would they admit it if they did use iodized as it would be admitting omitions in their following of labeling laws as I understand them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

In summary my questions are these:
First, is that sensitivity in all DH patients or only those on Dapsone?
Did any of you with DH have to forgo most foods known to man to get clear initially!?  What do I feed him?
Have any of you contacted companies to find out what type of salt they use?
Did anything help your skin clear?  The doctor is having me get a scrip for Atarax and having him soak in warm water 3X/day.

Thanks much,

Shellie

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com