From:
Jupiter Dog <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jupiter Dog <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 13:13:23 -0800

Hmmm. Confusion abounds. Some varying response from people on this, all
ranging from STAY AWAY FROM COFFEE FILETERS to DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT

"I drink Starbucks coffee all the time without any reaction! So my advice?
Enjoy you cup(s) of coffee. As for the cups don't worry.  Ditto with the
filters!"

"But as for paper or foam coffee cups, I get  gluten reaction every time I
use them so I don't use them."

"I am an avid starbucks drinker and i have no complaints!  If you are
worried about the cup, why not buy a thermus and have them pour the coffee
directly into the thermus."

"Personally, I would just buy the beans and make my own in one of those
gold-plated filters"

"I drink Starbucks coffee on a regular basis, and I've never gotten sick.  I
am a so-called sensitive celiac.

"Please try to relax--you'll get better MUCH faster, I swear.  All this
tension can't be helping you." [PATRICKS NOTE: POINT WELL TAKEN!!!!]"

"Starbuck's coffee may be gluten free as they say. I don't know. I however
find that that it is the filters that give me a reaction. That paper has to
stick together for some reason (has some glue agent or additives in it). I
haven't drunk coffee in years because I didn't know what it was that gave me

a reaction. Now I know. It is the filters." [PATRICK'S NOTE: YIKES! I
THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO RELAX!!!!]

"I drink Starbucks coffee on a regular basis and have never had one problem.
I am extremely sensitive to gluten.  I drink the coffee from the bag as well
as the coffee in Starbucks.  I do not drink any of the flavored drinks.  I
think you can feel safe as long as you stick to the regular coffee."

"I used to drink coffee from paper cups until it dawned on me that I got
"mysteriously" sick almost every time--and EVERY time from an otherwise
terrific coffee shop called Xando. Coffee is acidic, and will leach gluten
(and other things) from paper cups if it is present."