From:
Ronan O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ronan O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 12:07:11 -0000

cont..

My Master's thesis appears at http://www.gluten-free.org/hoggan
under the title: Application of the Exorphin Hypothesis to ADHD
I have cited quite a number of relevant peer-reviewed sources on opioid
peptides, and their biochemical activities. Although I only explore the
topic of withdrawal in a cursory fashion, I do provide considerable
evidence that this would be a predictable feature of gluten withdrawal
in perhaps as many as 2/3 of cases of newly diagnosed celiac disease.

Although it takes about 12 months to eliminate all of the offending
peptides from the bloodstream, the withdrawal period should end within
the next 3 weeks or so..... assuming that you are strictly gluten-free.
If you find yourself continuing to feel withdrawal symptoms after that
point, you may be getting some gluten from hidden sources, or you may
also have a problem with milk proteins.
Have you had a  complete blood work up done ? this is important. for your
kidneys ,liver, and heart and the CBC which is the white blood count,
Red blood count the hemanacrit that sort of thing and the  24 hour urine.
which tells if your kidneys are putting out too much protein.
Have you considered the supplements that you are taking may be better
absorbed than before and you might need to adjust some of the doseages?  You
might have had some malabsorption of the supplements before becoming GF.
At Delphi Forums, I remember a discussion about possible withdrawal from
wheat gluten.  An interesting possiblility was put forward,
but I have no way to back up what I am saying. One person posted some info
on a certain type of opiate-like substance that is found in the blood and
is related to wheat consumption.  Apparently, all the grains cause the body
to produce different types of chemicals we come to be dependent on.  I
remember
serving a spaghetti (pre-GF) dinner to some Asian friends when one had to
excuse herself to go home and eat rice because she just didn't feel full
on the spaghetti!  I thought it was so weird since westerners constantly
say how Chinese food makes you want to eat again five minutes later.
It was said that dairy had the same sort of opiate-like response.
Something to think about.

I too had the mad anxiety, I was constantly afraid I would literally starve
 to death since my access to food was cut down.  This was exasperated quite
bit by my becoming hyperthyroid just then, heading toward thyroid storm
where I was insanely hungry and my heart rate and metabolism went through
the roof.
I ate three times as much as normal and lost 10 pounds in a month.  It seems
weird
 that I would get this just as I was finally getting a celiac diagnosis.
I wonder if going Gf might have somehow triggered the Graves' disease which
caused the hyperthyroidism.  Of course there is absolutely no science behind
that theory except that going GF was stressful, and stress can cause
autoimmune diseases to become unmasked.
Things will get worse before they get better and will take several weeks if
not months to feel relay well again.  Most of the symptoms you describe are
ones I too suffered after going GF, takes a while for the body to heal
properly
There is an interesting article in the latest "living Without" about
children with autism and the withdrawal problems they have when going gluten
and casin free.
You may want to consider B12 injections - we don't always absorb pills and
my doctor has me on injections once a month forever.
If you have been suffering intestinal damage from celiac disease, your body
may be unable to absorb vitamins taken orally. I suggest finding a doctor
who
knows the score (not many, when we're talking CD) and taking your vitamins
as
injections, bypassing your wounded intestines.

There is also a sublingual B12 tablet, that is absorbed directly in the
mouth,
under the tongue, bypassing the intestinal route.