From:
Jessica Otey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jessica Otey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 05:15:20 -0500

First, thank you to everyone who replied for your thoughtful replies. It is
good to feel not alone in this!

1) SOY/DAIRY intolerances.  I received a variety of personal testimonials
on the subject of additional food intolerances. Many people said that I
could expect my dairy difficulties to disappear as I stay gf, although some
others reported probs with dairy occurring out of nowhere while gf.

SOY seems to be a slightly different story.  Many people have a sensitivity
to soy that remains with them, even after living gf. It all seems to be
related to a) what allergies one may have (different from intolerances) and
b) how much damage you have before you go gf.  As far as a reaction
specifically to HYDROLYZED foods goes, it seems that other people share
these sensitivities.  Someone told me that it’s not the process we are
reacting to, but the thing (soy, etc.) itself—though I also was told that
the process produces many bi-products and so one could react to any of
them.

2) TESTING
Enterolab, (www.enterolab.com) came highly recommended as a lab (and they
will deal directly with individuals) for tests.  However, the vast majority
of replies on this issue told me not to bother with the tests, to use my
own improvement as all the diagnosis I needed. Especially considering that
it is IMPORTANT to be on a G-containing diet for the blood work to show a
positive.  (The stool test and the gene test, both done by entero, are thus
a good alternative for those people (like me) who are now gf for a bit.
This is according to the enterolab website.