Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Thorn, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 09:08:31 -0500

More comments on Calcium supplementation-

---
Try calcium-fortified OJ instead of milk.

I wouldn't go over 1800-2000 gm/day elemental Ca.  If I go over
12-1500/day I get pretty bad constipation.

Don't forget vitamin D.  Preferably D3(cholecalciferol, not
ergocalciferol) at 800 IU/day (twice the MDA).
---
I use LIFETIME Liquid Calcium Magnesium Citrate - Pre-Acidified. Its the
Natural Orange/Vanilla Flavored. 1 Tablespoon provides: Calories-6, Total
Carbohydrates - 1.3 g (Sugar(fructose) - 1.25g); Vitamin D (as
Cholecalciferol) - 400 IU, 100% daily value; Calcium (from citrate) 600 IU
or IU, not sure 'cause my label is ripped there, sorry:(, but it says 60%
d.v.; Magnesium (from citrate) - 300 mg, 75% d.v. Other ingredients are:
water, fructose, natural orange vanilla flavor, cellulose gum, citric acid,
ascorbic acid. Contains no starch, wheat, soy, gluten, milk, egg, artificial
coloring, flavoring or preservatives. Must be refrigerated. Formulated and
distributed by: LifeTime/ Nutritional Specialties, Inc. Anaheim, CA 92805
I'm not sure how this stacks up to other calcium supplements, it was
recommended by my health food store owner as being very well absorbed/used
by the body. Hope this helps...I paid 10.50 for a 16 oz. bottle.
-----
I'm not sure what you mean when you say that 3 Caltrate-D are not enough. Do
you mean that you have been taking this much and not getting an increase in
bone density?
Some people feel for optimum benefit you also need some magnesium and one
lady on this list has seen better results when she added boron---you'll
probably hear from her as well. I believe her name is Ann.
I now use the calcium citrate from Freeda and also eat lots of yogurt
(suddenly I can eat yogurt without getting GI symptoms). Will go soon for
testing to see if things have improved. Over the years I have tried various
brands but have not had amazing improvement--pretty much held my own. I have
just recently stopped estrogen and so things may go downhill now. My doctor
is suggesting Evista by Lilly. I have confirmed that it is GF but don't know
if it is OK for men to use. Company could tell you. I have tried to avoid
Fosamax because so many have had bad complications from it. Now it is
available in a once a week dose so that might be better. Also not sure if
men can take that, but I believe some men have written in that they do.
-----
My wife and I like to mix Safeway Select Orange Juice with Calcium,
Caltrate-D pills, and our multivitamin pill so that we get 1200 mg calcium
plus 600 mg vit D.  We mix so that we get calcium and vit. D together.
---
Is there such a thing as taking too much calcium? I have osteopenia and the
docs all say to take 1500 mg. I hope 1800 mg helps you. sigh.....yes it is
very difficult to be a celiac.
----
There is an amazing amount of information about nutrition and health on
a website/bulletin board for Dr. Bill Stoll.  Do a web search for Bill
Stoll Bulletin Board and you should get there.

I have had problems with bone loss.  After being diagnosed Celiac, of
course I believed that the bone situation would improve because I
exercise daily, take supplements, avoid caffeine, alcohol, sugar, etc.
All those things that rob our bodies of calcium.

I came across Dr. Stoll's site while searching something totally
unrelated. I read the bulleting board stuff for about a week and learned
that magnesium deficiency can be a problem with absorption of calcium.
Also, if a person has Leaky Gut the absorption can be a problem.  There
is a ton of info in the archives but it does take some time to go
through.

I hope you have the time to do some more research because I believe you
can have good nutrient absorption once you figure out what is going on
with your body.
-----
Michael, do you tolerate dairy products?  They are the most highly
bioavailable source of calcium.  Also O.J. supplemented with calcium is said
to be quite a good source.  Also FYI, all calcium pills vary in absorption
with citrate and carbonate being most available at 35%.  So for every 600 mg
of calcium citrate you take you are really only able to absorb 35% or 210
mg.  The RDI for healthy people is 800+ to 1200+ mg daily depending if male
or female.  You probably still need more
-----
I'll start by enclosing a newsletter article I wrote recently.
If you are still interested, you might check  the medical textbook by
Cooke & Holmes entitled: Coeliac Disease 1984
<he also some journal citations-
1. Marsh MN. Bone disease and gluten sensitivity: time to act, to treat, and
to prevent. Am J Gastroenterol. 1994 Dec;89(12):2105-7.

2. Rude RK, Olerich M. Magnesium deficiency: possible role in osteoporosis
associated with gluten-sensitive enteropathy. Osteoporos Int.
1996;6(6):453-61.

3. Kumar V, Valeski JE, Wortsman J. Celiac disease and hypoparathyroidism:
cross-reaction of endomysial antibodies with parathyroid tissue. Clin Diagn
Lab Immunol. 1996 Mar;3(2):143-6.

4. Embry AF, Snowdon LR, Vieth R. Vitamin D and seasonal fluctuations of
gadolinium-enhancing magnetic resonance imaging lesions in multiple
sclerosis. Ann Neurol. 2000 Aug;48(2):271-2.
----
Someone posted some information about natto a bit ago. It is supposed to
help with calcium and bone building. You can get more info doing a search
on "natto". I have
not tried it though.
----
 I must be an oddity.  I was 18 months getting a diagnosis, and have been
GF.  My bone density has been fine.  I have taken Caltrate 600 x 1 on a
daily basis, for
may years.  I also have growth hormone deficiency, which also usually leads
to low bone density (low calcium).  And, I have a family history of
osteoporosis.
At 56, if I'm not a prime candidate for weak bones!
    I also eat the soy based cheese and products called
"Veggie Slices" (cheese), Veggie Sour Cream", etc. which have added calcium
and are made by Galaxy foods.  I have found these products in Kroger's,
Farmer Jack's, and Spartan Food Stores.  I would think most major chains or
group affiliates, like IGA, would be carrying them.
----
The best calcium combination I have found is Bone Builder with Calcium from
Schiff.  It is listed for Women's Health but has a lot of other things
Celiacs need such as C. D, K, B6, Folate, B12, calcium, magnesium, and a lot
of trace minerals.  When I locate your snail-mail address I'll send you a
flyer from the box. The numbers are too small for me to read.  I try to take
three per day.   It has no added sugar, salt, yeast, wheat, gluten, or
milk.1-800-526-6251  www.schiffvitamins.com
----
I use Calcium Magnesium by Country Life.  Calcium is 1000 mg and
Magnesium is 500 mg in two tablets.
----
I take magnesium in a ratio of 2 mg. calcium to 1 mg magnesium.  Which means
I'm taking 1000mg. magnesium per day.
---
Eat some salmon, sardines, or other oily fish at least once a week.
Eat lots and lots of fresh greens and members of the cabbage family -
all high in calcium.
I just read yesterday that taking more than 500mg at a time is
probably a waste, but that one can take that much 2-3 times/day.
---
I take Twinlabs calcium citrate, 6 each day (I take three in the morning and
three in the evening). These have magnesium also. I take a teaspoon of
codliver oil each night. This has vitamin A and vitamin D. The vitamin D
helps the calcium get absorbed into the bones. I take every supplement that
is recommended for stronger bones, and while once my bloodwork showed that I
was low on calcium, I am no longer. For a long while I had bone pain in the
right hip. The joint spaces were okay, so I suppose what I had was
osteomalacia. Now it has gone away. My bone density tests out better than
normal for my age (71), and this year the doctor decided that it had been
good so long that I wouldn't have to have the test. I use mint-flavored
codliver oil and keep it cold in the refrigerator, but if you can't stand
the thought of taking codliver oil, you can get the capsules. I use them
when I am off on a trip. This regime has worked well for me. I am
gluten-free and dairy-free. It took a while for me, but I don't seem to be
getting stoop-shouldered, and I think, along these lines, at least, I must
be doing something good. Good luck. I think your Caltrate is calcium
citrate, but you may need more of it or some of the other factors that make
calcium available to bones.
---