NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bryan Tortolani <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 09:06:07 -0800
From: "Catharine Wright" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 4:45 PM
Subject: glucose test and lactose intolerence

> About 7 years ago I was diagnosed with Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar or
sugar sensitivity) after taking the glucose tolerence test (with the glucose
drink).  After an adjusted diet I did okay for about 5 years.  I started
having severe problems
> again 2 years ago and have recently determined that I am very sensitive to
most lactose products.  The reactions I have for both low blood sugar and
too much lactose are essentially the same (stomach cramps, etc. which is not
typical with low blood
> sugar reactions).  I have been trying to determine if there is some
relationship between the two.  Obviously, if I'm not digesting the milk
products, my body is not getting the sugar from those products and perhaps
causes a low but I don't know
> about vice versa.  I would be interested in knowing if you do have a
reaction to the glucose test and if there are others on this list who have
sugar sensitivities.
> You can email me privately.
> Catharine

Hi Cathrine,
I am sad to say that I cannot help you, however I am very interested in
learning more about the glycose test and the symptoms of Hypoglycemia.  I am
lactose and gluten intolerantand am not sure as to the cause.  My dimwitted
doctor thought I might have celiac disease---took a biopsy--then ruled it
out.  The problem was I had completely changed my diet prior to the biopsy
which I have since learned negates the test. I may very well have celiac but
refuse to let my imbicilic yet arragant doc, (a combo of the worst kind)
near me with that horrible devise--it was much like a plumber's snake used
to unclog toilets, except this 'scalpul on a stick' was shoved down my
throat all the way to the small intestine.

As for my intrest in glucose intolerance I also have symptoms such as,
trembling, dizziness, weakness, and pale skin which come on if I skip a
meal, in fact I have to eat a lot of little meals (5-6 per day) in order to
insure that I remain symptom free.--I have cramping too but only when I
ingest lactose. My doc does not know why I am having these symptoms and
therefore does what most of my doctors do, attribute it to some strange side
affect from my previous medical treatments.  I have a history of Hodgkin
Disease (cancer of the lymph node glands)  which was treated by
Chemo--radiation--bone marrow transplant--and surgeries.  I am stil young
(mid-thirties) and would like to live a normal life, which doctors are of no
help---in my experience, they do not like to talk about, nor treat food
alergies--so I am left to my own devices in that regard. If they cannot cut
you open or write you a perscription most doctors run right out the door.

If you have heard of anything that can help I would be much ablidged and I
will keep my eyes and ears open for any info that may help you.
Thanks,
Bryan

P.S.  I posted an ad and it was returned to me all jargled up, sighting
command problems.  I am unfamiliar with the system and had planned to spend
some energy on finding out where I went wrong--but have not yet had a chance
to do so--therefore I beleived that I was not officailly in the system --
and so am unsure why I received yours and others emails. I had written about
the anguish of living with a lactose intonerance--I am a cheese lover--an
Italian who loved cheese---I morn the loss of Parmasean as if I had lost a
child.  How do you stand it?--life as lost all joy!!!!  In truth, I do not
mis milk and find soymilk to be a better choice than milk--it taste almost
as good and is much heathier--its the cheese I long for.