VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ray Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ray Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2006 12:36:17 -0500
Hi All:

I'm still working with the gentleman who is having Internet Explorer and
Outlook Express problems.  To recap, he can type into the "to:", "cc:"
and "Subject:" boxes on Outlook Express, but when he gots into the
window to type the body of his message, JAWS won't read anything.  Here
is further information on this and what we have tried.

It turns out his cursor isn't showing up in the Outlook Express message
window.  We did the following things, and nothing has solved this
problem yet.

1.  We set his outlook express to send e-mail using plain text.
2.  We found out he had a Logitech Itouch keyboard.  This keyboard has
software that wants to update itself.  I had him change to another
non-Logitech keyboard, uninstall the Logitech Itouch software and try
doing e-mail.  This didn't help.
3.  We did a repair on his JAWS Version 7.  By the way, he also has JAWS
Version 6.0 on his system, but I don't believe that hurts anything,
having both versions.
4.  I had him try sending an e-mail from Outlook Express using Narrator
instead of JAWS, of course, with JAWS turned off.  He still wasn't
getting a cursor, and like all of the other e-mails he has sent me, the
message was blank.
5.  He's got Norton Antivirus on his computer.  I had him go in to that
program and couldn't readily see a place to disable it.  I was going to
have him temporarily disable it and see if maybe it was blocking his
cursor.
6.  We've gone into his Display options under control panel and we can't
find anything set incorrectly there.
7.  We went into Internet Options under control panel and changed his
accessibility settings to ignore colors and fonts on web pages.  This
did not help either.

I'm running out of ideas.  I am thinking perhaps he's got a virus or
piece of spyware in his computer that is causing his cursor to not show
up in outlook express and to cause blank e-mails to be sent out.

Anyone have any ideas?  This gentleman lives in Valparaiso, Indiana;
does anyone know of someone in that area who could go to his home and
help him on site?  He's been working with an agency called Opportunity
Enterprises down there, but I'm not sure how much expertise they have to
help with something like this.

Any ideas would be appreciated.  I apologize for the length of this post
and thank you all for reading it.

Ray Campbell, Help Desk Technician
Adaptive Technology Center
Chicago Lighthouse for People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
1850 W. Roosevelt Road
Chicago, IL  60608
312-997-3651 (Voice/Relay) or
888-825-0080 (voice/Relay)