VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lynn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 2005 08:46:42 -0500
Received this tip and thought I might pass it on. I am just trying to cut
down on the dreaded MIME  format messages on this list and when we move to
the new list

I feel this could be part of the problem with our email postings. if I am
off base here please let me know.

Outlook Express: Take Your Pick of Formats

Outlook Express can use one of two file formats for the e-mail messages that
you compose. The Rich Text (HTML) format can display all the formatting you
see on Web pages on the Internet (including graphics). The Plain Text format
can display only text characters (similar to a file opened in the Windows
Notepad text editing utility).

When you first install Outlook Express, it uses the Rich Text (HTML) format
for any new e-mail messages that you compose. This setting is fine as long
as the e-mail program used by the recipient(s) of the message can deal with
HTML formatting. (Many older e-mail programs, especially ones running under
the Unix operating system, cannot.)

If you send a message using the Rich Text (HTML) format to someone whose
e-mail program can't accept anything but plain text, the message comes to
the recipient as plain text with an HTML document attached. That way, she
can view all the HTML formatting bells and whistles that you added to the
original e-mail message by opening the attached document in her Web browser.

Sign up, set up your e-mail account, and start browsing the Web with the
insight in The Internet Gigabook For Dummies.

Related Articles

Understanding Your E-Mail Program

Using the Outlook Express Address Book

Subscribing to Newsgroups in Outlook Express