VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lynn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 23:49:54 -0500
Hello Lisa B and other interested parties:

I took the response to your first query from www.komando.com  by gong to the
search feature at the bottom of the page and entering the words windows
messenger in the edit field. The responce  startsout with MSN messenger
service and works down to windows messenger. This site is a good resourse
for general computing  tips.

      Turning off instant messaging

      Q. I am running XP pro, and I have MSN Messenger on my computer. How
can I get rid of it? I do not use any instant messengers.

      A. MSN Messenger should be easy to remove. Click Start>>Control Panel.
Double-click Add or Remove Programs. Find MSN Messenger and click it once.
Click Change/Remove.

      If MSN Messenger is not in Add or Remove Programs, you may have
subscribed to MSN's service. Messenger is included. Messenger does not start
automatically, unless you open MSN. According to an MSN spokesman, you
cannot separate Messenger from the MSN service.

      However, you can use parental controls to keep Messenger from
starting. To do that, sign in to MSN. Then:
      -- Click Safety>>Parental Controls>>Set Parental Controls
      -- Click Add Member Account
      -- Follow instructions on creating a new account
      -- When finished, it returns you to the Set Parental Controls page
      -- Click the account name you created
      -- Set the parental controls to general
      -- Click accept.

      It is possible that you are confusing MSN Messenger with Windows
Messenger. The latter is very similar, and is built in to Windows XP.

      To open Windows Messenger, click Start>>All Programs. Or, click the
icon in the Notification area in the bottom right of the desktop.

      According to Microsoft, you cannot remove Windows Messenger. But you
can disable it. XP Home has a simple setting that allows you to turn off
Windows Messenger. In the open Windows Messenger window, click
Tools>>Options. Select the Preferences tab. Clear the box next to "Run
Windows Messenger when Windows starts."

Now for query 2:

I will give an explanation for allow and block lists. This is one of those
computer things that when you hear my response you will slap your forehead
and say I get it now!

Your allow list is the addresses or contacts you want to receive messages
from, examples are VICUG  list and hopefully me, smile. The blocked list are
addresses or contacts you do not want to hear from again. You should be able
to move contacts from one list to the other. The add button is used to add
to one of the lists after the contact is highlighted. The delete button will
remove the contact from the list.

When you download your mail from the server, Norton anti spam should compare
the addresses of the incoming mail to the allow list and when the address is
not on the allow list move it to the block list or to the deleted items
folder or spam folder.

Simmular spam controal programs call their lists; white & black, good guys &
bad guys, friends & enimies you get the idea.

Link to common asked questions about Norton anti spam program:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/docid/2003082910393536?OpenDocument&src=hot&prod=Norton%20AntiSpam&ver=2005&csm=no&seg=hho&tpre=

Look for the Link to Configuring the Allowed and Blocked lists in Norton
AntiSpam and Norton Internet Security on this page.

I am not a Norton user. All I know is what I look up and read on the
Internet.

Yes Lisa, you did get the correct list.

And Yes Lisa there is a Santa Clause.