VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Janet Russeau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Russeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 10:21:47 -0500
At 10:04 AM 2/1/2005, you wrote:
>I have that problem also.  I am using Windows XP and Microsoft Word in
>Office 2003.  However, I have experienced this in all versions of Windows
>and Word that I have used.
>
>I usually type in 12 point Arial, as I think that is the best setting for
>most people with normal vision, and it works well generally for my level of
>low vision.  I have set it as my default just as Stewart described, but it
>does often revert back right in the middle of a document.  Here at PIAT, we
>are trying to make our documents as accessible as possible for screen
>readers and for putting on the web by using Styles and Formats.  It seems
>that the font reversion is worse than ever when I am using that feature. I
>can always reset the Font to 12 point Arial, but it is a bother to have to
>keep doing it.  I have not found any pattern for when it does it.
>
>When I was using Office 95, I was advised by a Word trainer to look for a
>document called Normal, and put in your preferred settings.  It was a blank
>document which was a template for all documents, but could be modified
>document by document. However, I have not been able to find that normal
>document on any subsequent versions of Word.
>
>Janice Knuth

The Normal file you are referring to is actually called Normal.dot, with
the .dot extension signifying that it is a Word template file.

The Normal.dot file does contain all default settings for Word. I did a
quick search on my computer and found mine located here: C:\Documents and
Settings\ISD\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

The folder name ISD is my Windows XP logon name. You have to be careful
though, if you locate this file and just double-click on it, it will open
Word with a new blank document. To actually edit the file, you need to
locate it, right-click on it and then choose Edit.

Whatever changes you make to the Normal.dot template will be the new
defaults for Word.

Hope this helps,
Janet Russeau