VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Catherine Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Catherine Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 20:20:59 -0400
Okay list, sorry to be my tactless, irreverant self (pardon the pun Keith)
but I have to protest this article.  Not protesting of course that Mr. Bundy
was generous to give his time and thoughts to the media.  What I protest is
their warm and fuzzy, feel good, oh poor blind guy who triumphs over it all"
attitude.  I know from experience.  In high school, I made the mistake of
consenting to be interviewed and photographed for the Washingtonian
magazine.  The article was all about my blindness and all the stuff I'm
doing despite being blind etc etc.  Then I made the even bigger mistake of
letting CBS news come film me and do a story about me on their morning show.
Boy did I regret it.  It was that very same spin, the whole "she's an
inspiration to us all" crap, and frankly I don't feel a need to be an
inspiration to anyone... at least, not just because I happen to do some
useful stuff in life despite being blind.  I like to play the trumpet, and
if you like my trumpet playing, great, I'm glad, I have possibly earned it.
But to me, blindness is, as a friend once put it, a mild annoyance at times,
nothing more.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets patted on the shoulder
and told that I'm an inspiration and all that.  Is anyone else tired of that
stuff?  I try to be nice when folks say stuff like that.  They mean well,
and perhaps they genuinely are inspired.  But it makes me feel as though
they really wouldn't expect me to do anything productive in life and are
amazed that I manage to be a self-sufficient adult despite this horrible,
drastic affliction.  I know this is a computer list, so I won't take any
more time.  But I'd love to hear from folks (even if you don't want to
continue the discussion over the listserve) what your thoughts are on this
subject.  It's really a pet peeve of mine in case you didn't guess.  Have a
nice one.
Catherine Armstrong