VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 29 May 2004 14:11:14 -0400
Hi, everyone.
I just experienced some really weird behavior on my system.  I opened My
Documents in order to access a file, and nothing happened.  Then I got the
message that My Documents wasn't responding; did I want to end the program
or try again?  Now, I've had this problem in the past with other programs
quite often, such as with Eudora, as it crashes a lot with Windows XP.  But
I don't think this has ever happened with My Documents!  And then, maybe a
minute or two later, after I opened My Documents again and successfully
accessed my file, I went into Internet Explorer and did a ctrl-o to type in
the address of a page I wanted to go to - and again, nothing.  I had to do
an End Task on Internet Explorer.  I then checked my system tray and
noticed that a few programs that are normally listed there weren't there;
and also, I saw that Norton Internet Security, my firewall program which
normally shows that it's disabled - I think JAWS is reading it incorrectly
because I know it's enabled when it says disabled - showed as being
enabled!  At that point, I got a little nervous and shut the machine
down.  I find this behavior quite strange and can't come up with an
explanation for it.  The machine's two years old and hasn't given me any
trouble so far.  I have NAV getting live updates automatically, so I can't
imagine it's a virus.  Could my machine have been hacked into?  I have a
cable Internet connection.

Thanks for any ideas you might have.
Rachel