VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deborah Kendrick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deborah Kendrick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 May 2004 04:44:33 -0500
Hi,
Two months ago, I took delivery of a new computer configured for me by two
wonderful folks, Noel and Debby Runyan.  They're in California, and I'm in
Ohio so, for simplicity's sake, we bought computer and laser printer both
from Dell, having them shipped first to them, and then on to me when they
were finished.

The Dell printer worked when it left them.  Here, it printed two pages, and
nary another.  After that, I probably logged about 30 hours with some six or
eight Dell tech support people, most of them not speaking English too well,
none of them understanding that just reinstalling XP wasn't a good idea for
me.

My boyfriend wanted to help.  He's sighted and doesn't know much about
assistive tech, but respects it.  He was coached to run an XP repair, which
made that stupid printer print but also trashed my Window-Eyes.  Several
phases later, (including a bewildered GW Micro tech staff, and the loss of
tons of data), I'm back up and running but still no printer.  I don't want
to try this one anymore.  Can anyone suggest a printer that is known to work
with well XP and WE?  Easily?  I can't function without a printer but I'm
too spooked to work with this one any more.

Deborah