VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Justin Philips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Justin Philips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 2003 19:17:47 +0530
One approach could be in terms of boundaries.

The alt key for example, is local in scope in that it is used to pull down
menus of only the program that has the focus. You would use alt to enter the
menus, or alt and another letter to go to any menu in particular.

The control key on the other hand has a global boundary, in that they may be
sued anywhere in the computer. Some functions using control key is applicable
to all programs in the computer. Exasmples are control + z for undo, control +
x for paste, control + c for copy and control+ v for paste. control + f is used
generally for find and control + s is for save. These are also universal
functions, which are done by the control.

In summary, alt is for that program having the focus, control is functionality
across the board.

hth Justin

On 20 Nov 2003 at 8:54,
 Bundy, Keith scribbled two cents' worth--Difference between ALT and CONTROL
keys--

> We have a computer instructor who is trying to explain the difference
> between the ALT and CONTROL keys to a new computer student.  We all know
> when to use the various keys, but none of us can seem to come up with a good
> explanation regarding the difference between them.  Any great ideas out there?
>
> Keith Bundy
> Director of Student Development
> Dakota State University
> Madison, SD
> 605-256-5121
> Email: [log in to unmask]
> http://www.departments.dsu.edu/bundyk

> [log in to unmask]  In the body of the message, simply type

Just an email away......
Justin