VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Flor Lynch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Flor Lynch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 2002 19:27:07 +0100
Your theory is correct.  A good sighted friend of mine informed me that
yes, sighted people do lip-read unconsciously, and have grown accustomed
to seeing people's mouthings, facial expressions, etc., so that they can
know without hearing much what's being said.  This does not discount
that we have better exercised hearing, but shows that the sighted
faculty lends greater variety, and, it may be, distraction also in
circumstances where we would hear better, i.e., in the midst of silence.
Body language, too, is more important for sighted people.