VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2008 06:37:06 -0500
Chris

I am one of those whose opinion has changed over the years.  Initially, as
an inexperienced pc and screen reader user, I would have vehemently
supported Harry's cause.  Why, well, the obvious:  who doesn't want to
spend less than more and the concept that a screen reader is a screen
reader. Well, as I became more and more of a WE user and more and more of
a pc user, I began to understand just how different screen readers can be.
I began to appreciate what a screen reader can do beyond the obvious; and
how a powerful screen reader with a complex operating structure and
functionality can boost my benefits out of the pc.
	I also have seen how competition among strong companies offerering
excellent products makes all of them better; and how a quality enhancement
in one screen reader will undoubtedly force the other to include a
newfeature.
And the need to be innovative and responsive keeps development on the
cutting edge improving products from all manufacturers.

This discussion is purely academic as I am certain Harry realizes.  MSFT
has made it clear that they are allowing the private sector to deal with
the screen reader issue and that they will work with rather than against
the screen reader industry.  That co-operation has worked well for users
and the industry; and we have seen less costly products, with perhaps less
bells and whistles, evolve.
In short, I'd suggest, that the marketplace is
working and wide open.  If someone can cost effectively do what GWMicro
and Freedom Scientific or Dolphin do, with the complexities of their
products at a lower price, they would have done it.
Serotek has found a lower cost niche and offers an alternative, but what
you get isn't quite as much in feature enrichment including, incidentally,
which synthesizers and speech engines can be used.
Keep in mind that the screen reader is but a starting point.  The
experienced user may also have speech and synthesizers preferences which
JFW and GWMicro can accommodate which a lower-end product (or one supplied
by MSFT) may not support.

So my answer to this debate has evolved over the years as have the screen
readers.  I now appreciate what a complex screen reader can do; and I
understand just how much it costs to develop, produce, maintain, support
and market these products.
And beyond that, we are dealing with companies that, to survive, must pay
their bills and return to their owners a profit and a living.
And, oh yes, folks expect these businesses to show up at conventions,
conferences and all the rest which drives up costs.

Bottom line: I am impressed that GwMicro and FS can offer their fine
products at the prices they do.  I would have never said that 10-15 years
ago, but today, now that I have an appreciation both for what their
products can do and what *must* go into getting the products to that
state, I have no problem with the pricetag.

The Great Commission
 is not an option to be considered; it is a command to be obeyed.
Hudson Taylor

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]