From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 10:14:01 -0500
hi,

I have had an occasion, that after a lightning storm, a customers modem
would not work correctly, not because
of the computer hardware being damaged, but because of something else on
the line getting dammaged.

I suggest you remove(unplug) all phones, answering machines, caller id's,
telezappers, etc.
and try the system.  If it works, put the other devices back on line one at
a time till the culprit is found.

At 10:52 PM 01/13/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>On 13 Jan 2003, at 19:12, KATHY SCHRIEBER wrote:
>
>> After a storm computer can't access internet-states-modem not found.
>> Suspecting a corrupt driver I downloaded the file but not sure how to
>> install it.  Any suggestions appreciated!
>
>  While corruption of the driver file is not impossible, it is far more
>likely that a lightning-induced voltage surge along the phone line has
>destroyed crucial parts of the modem electronics.  It really doesn't take
>much!  (Some surge-protection devices include a couple of phone jacks so you
>can connect your modem to the phone system through the suppressor, to
>prevent this kind of damage.)
>
>David Gillett
>
>                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
>               articles, how-to's, tech tips and much more
>                          http://freepctech.com

God Bless America!

Joe Lore
MicroComputerCenter, Inc.